Visitor Count

Monday, September 30, 2013

A Stream of Consciousness-like Response to "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" by T.S. Eliot

“The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock” sounds like an enormous warning to me. Between the cautionary yellow fog, the eternal Footman holding your coat, and swimming freely then realizing all was a dream and drowning upon awakening, it all sounds like one big wake-up call (slight pun intended) that time is way shorter than we humans seem to think of it being. According to this poem, we should do all that we can in our time allotted (meaning the time in which we are alive), or it could run out on us. In this precious time that we have, we should confess to the person we love, we should go for and get our dream job, and we should check off every goal on our bucket lists. “Do I dare to eat a peach?” You’d better!

T.S. Eliot warns of the disillusionment that time can be held onto forever in this poem of his. Sure, “in a minute there is time/ for decisions and revisions”, but if we constantly hesitate and procrastinate, not one of the possibilities in those decisions will ever come to fruition—we will be wasting time, and that’s what Eliot is getting across.

Does that not panic you?

Eliot’s not the only one who’s attempted to get this message of limited time out. The first story that comes to mind related to this is the movie It’s Kind of a Funny Story, where in the end, the main character is going on about enjoying and actually living life. My personal weekday routine consists of school, maybe marching band practice, homework, sleep, and starting all over again the next day. On the weekends, I attempt to catch up on sleep and more homework. I am basically measuring my methodical life in something like “coffee spoons” because there is no real variety in what I do. I am not truly “living” while I can and therefore wasting time. Maybe Eliot’s poem isn't completely about ‘living’ or lost time either, but it terrifies me to think that I might “wake up” from my dreamlike state of thinking that I had all this time to use and “linger” when I actually didn't,  and I “drown” in reality. Have I been “etherized” all this time?

Another movie (can’t help it) relating to this topic is A Beautiful Mind. In the movie, the protagonist is diagnosed with schizophrenia after others around him realize that he had been perceiving and responding to people that were made up in his mind and weren't actually there. Since I have both watched this movie and read Eliot’s poem recently, the ideas from each have started to blend a bit in my mind. What I've gotten from both stories is that there is an actual possibility that, as I experience life, what I am now perceiving and interacting with on a daily basis is not real. There is no proof that I am not the schizophrenia patient; I may be just a little more controlled or mild. I could even just not exist myself. Who’s to tell me I do? Everyone shows up how I perceive them to be, right? So how should I presume?

I suppose that’s another part of Eliot’s poem. There is a great illusion by humans that there is always more time, so they should act and make decisions while they can. However, there is also the question of how do we go about making those decisions? We know we have a time limit, but what if life is meaningless after all? What if my desires and goals that I wish to accomplish aren't even worth it? We wouldn't even be able to know whether they were until we decided to act upon them. So how can we muster the confidence to go after something we have no way of ensuring will turn out good for us? Do we just go for it, anyway? Yes? Then, how, Eliot? He does not seem to give this question a clear answer.


It’s interesting to see how much actual uncertainty about life is reflected in this poem of Eliot’s, which is fitting for a modernist writer who is all too familiar with disillusionment and disorientation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment